|My old cat has anemia|
- Aplastic pancytopenia - the bone marrow fails to produce enough new cells to replenish blood cells;
- Hemolytic anemia - Heinz body - an item of denatured hemoglobin is enclosed in the red blood cell. It is caused by the consumption of paracetamol that poisons the cat.
- Immune mediated anemia - affects dogs more that cats. Auto-immune system goes wrong and attacks red blood cells.
- Iron deficiency anemia - caused by a diet deficient in iron and/or iron loss due to e.g. intestinal bleeding.
- Megalobastic anemia - caused by the infectious disease feline leukemia.
- Anemia caused by chronic kidney disease. My old cat (20) is dying and she has feline anemia caused in part by chronic kidney disease.
- Metabolic anemia - occurs with fatty liver syndrome in cats.