These two wildcat species are the best climbers and most associated with tree dwelling:
|Margay resting in a tree, typical behavior - Photo copyright Adriane Taylor|
See more of Adriane's work
Other wild cat species that spend time in trees are:
- Ocelet - hunt on the ground, rest in trees and escape to trees
- Leopard cat - likes forest cover and can be "quite arboreal in their habits"¹
- African golden cat - thought to be arboreal but short tail and stocky body indicates otherwise. More needs to be known about this cat.
- Marbled cat - more arboreal than the average wild cat species.
- Leopard - we have all seen leopards taking prey into trees and resting in trees.
Note: "Arboreal" means: living in trees. (1) Wild Cats of the World.